Information for parents.
- Parental Liaison Officer – Kevin McGuire
Kevin McGuire has been the liaison officer for Parent Councils for several years. So that we may improve the service to parents, Kevin’s role is being widened so that he will act as Parental Liaison Officer for Midlothian Council.
Parents are still strongly encouraged to contact their school first if they have questions, concerns, or wish to compliment staff on the service they provide. We recognise however that parents may also at times wish to contact someone in the Education Department for further advice; Kevin will be the first point of contact within Fairfield House should parents wish that type of contact.
Kevin’s role will be to resolve issues where possible and to consult with or refer to schools or other managers where appropriate.
Our desire is to ensure that parents are supported and given access to the information they require.
As of 8 April 2013, parents may contact Kevin, whose contact details are as follows:
Tel: 0131 271 3732
- A statement from the University of Aberdeen regarding their entry requirements under the Curriculum for Excellence can be read here.
- A briefing paper for parents and guardians of S2 pupils concerning CfE and the Course Choice options available can be downloaded, here.
- A copy of the presentation relating to changes in the curriculum following the introduction of CfE can be downloaded <a href="docs/ParentsInformationFeb13.pdf" target="”_blank”">here</a>.
- The S4 exam leave starts on the Friday 26th April and the S5/6 exam leave starts on Monday 3rd May. Returning S4/5 pupils come back on Thursday 6th June for induction.
- The Scottish Government is holding a survey on a proposed increase in pre-school education hours, from 475 to 600 hour. Parents can provide feedback to thsi survey by clicking the link;
- The S4 December 2012 Prelim timetable can be downloaded, here.
- A resource for writing a UCAS personal statement is available to download, click here.
- To view the School Handbook for 2011-12, click here.
- SAAS have a YouTube video which outlines the funding available to undergraduate students in academic session 2011/12. To view it click here.
- The Beeslack Association, has been investigating ways in which they can help the school by fundraising to purchase additional educational resources.
They have identified a scheme through which funds can be raised for the school and will not require parents to contribute further monies using a search engine which supports online shopping with most major retailers.
When a purchase is made via the search engine the Beeslack Association will receive a donation from the company.
For further information please click here.
To link direct to the 'Beeslack High School Parents Association' page on the 'Easyfundraising' website click here.
- To view the school's Standard and Quality Report for session 2010-2011, click here.
- To view the school's Assessment and Reporting arrangements for the current S5 & S6, please click here.
- To view the school calendar with the dates of parents' evenings, when pupil reports are issued and the holiday dates, click here.
SCHOLAR is one of the world's largest school e-learning education programmes and it is available to every pupil studying Highers/Advanced Highers in almost every school in Scotland. If your child does not have a SCHOLAR password, please encourage him or her to ask their teacher for this. A Parent Information Leaflet is attached which gives you more information about the SCHOLAR programme and the advantages of its use to your child. To download it click here.
ParentLine Scotland. ParentLine Scotland is a free, confidential helpline and email service for anyone caring for a child about any problem big or small. They can be contacted by phone on 0800 028 2233; by email on email@example.com or via their website www.children1st.org.uk
Below are links to documents that contain useful information for parents.
School Term Dates 10/11
School Term Dates 11/12
Midlothian Child Protection Procedures
Free School Meal and Clothing Grant application form
Prelim Exam Dates
S5/S6 Exams: 6th - 10th February 2012
SQA Exam Leave
S4: 29th April - 27th May 2011
S5/S6: 12th May - 3rd June 2011